In today’s competitive world, you need to not only stay on top of the game but also be creative to garner attention. Gone are the days when advertisements and promotions were limited to television and newspapers, the world had moved to the Internet space several years back and now everything seems to have finally found place in the smartphones. Since the advent of smartphones, people have gone on an overdrive creating apps with different uses, out of which, the instant messaging app, WhatsApp, seems to be the most frequently used.
Digital marketers have understood this and hence are now leveraging WhatsApp marketing to the maximum. It is one of the most used and recommended channels to promote and advertise one’s products and services. The B2C businesses are the ones that stand to gain the most out of it.
Why WhatsApp marketing?
WhatsApp is being used by different businesses to market their products and services and even interact with customers. B2C businesses can make the best out of this mode of marketing. Choose to market your product on WhatsApp for the following reasons:
- Cost effective: It is one of the most cost effective of all app marketing tools. It is especially effective for small to medium-sized businesses as it is a perfect alternative to creating an alternative app for marketing and inexpensive too. It is free; you just have to pay for the Internet data charges. But the result is immense as the brand gets boost almost immediately.
- Quick: WhatsApp is an instant messaging service and hence the turn-around-time in this is much quicker than any other app or tool. While email is a great tool to promote and talk about your business, it surely doesn’t bring in immediate results as compared to WhatsApp. You don’t have to spend too much time creating content too.
- Wider reach: One of the key elements that makes WhatsApp marketing all the more important now is the customer base. It paves the way to a wide audience immediately. Almost everyone these days are on WhatsApp and you get access to them through the app. To get in touch with your customers, you just need to have their numbers saved in your smartphone and you will be able to WhatsApp them.
- Easy to use: Unlike other apps, WhatsApp, isn’t that tough to use. In fact, its user-friendly nature has prompted it to become one of the most popular instant messaging apps in the world. If a customer wants to opt out from receiving any of you marketing messages, all he or she has to do is hit block number and it’ll be done.
- Multimedia: You can send and share more than just pictures on WhatsApp. So whether it is an infographic or a video related to your product or services or an audio file, you can send pretty much everything. And, you don’t have to spend too much time and effort creating content for this particular channel.
Who uses WhatsApp marketing?
Like we mentioned earlier, this mode of marketing is most effective for B2C businesses. In fact, WhatsApp marketing is being widely used by event organizers to promote their events on a regular basis. It is also popular in the food and retail industry too. It has perhaps proved most beneficial to hyperlocal businesses that are evening using it to take orders for deliveries of different products and services. For example, Brekkie, a breakfast delivery service, takes its orders on WhatsApp too while other F&B players are reaching customers with ‘today’s deal/menu’ to their customers. The radio industry had adopted WhatsApp long back where WhatsApp listeners could reach their favorite RJs for song interests.
Tips for WhatsApp marketing
There are rules for all kinds of marketing; WhatsApp too has its own. Here are a few tips that will help you maintain them:
- Interaction: WhatsApp should be a tool for interaction by marketers but to interact with known people only. For example, if you are opening up a new business and want to let people know about it, then send your message/picture to the people that you have already interacted with and who know you. Also, don’t create any groups when it comes to business or marketing your business.
- Display picture: Your display picture should be of the product or your business. Don’t use any personal picture or pictures of any other kind. Or it could be a picture of a call to action for example: Contact me to order home delivery.
- No overdoing: It’s good to send messages to your acquaintances regularly but try not to overdo it. People don’t like to receive messages regarding advertisements and so on, daily and sometimes it leads to people blocking you altogether which wouldn’t be nice at all as slowly it will affect the customer base.
- Quick TAT: Always have someone monitoring your WhatsApp so that you can get back to your customers without any delay. Try and respond immediately to queries. Timely communication is essential for any business and who knows you may even close deals by being prompt.
- Maintain professionalism: Though WhatsApp is an informal platform, when interacting with your customers or potential ones maintain a professional environment and don’t try to be overtly friendly. Maintain decorum while interacting.
We at Unspun understand the quick changing dynamics of digital marketing and are continuously working with clients to up their game. Our experts strategize marketing plans that include all channels, especially WhatsApp. Get in touch with us to know how you can leverage the same.